Saturday, November 1, 2008

Day One- Sorry it is so long!

Wow, I am finally here and it is freezing! What a day God gave me today. It started with a wonderful send off in Portland with my family and Kirsten; incredibly blessed to have them in my life. I had a direct flight from Portland to Frankfurt, Germany and sat next to a sweet elderly lady that literally talked to me every moment I was either awake or had my headphones off. She and her husband are on the tail end of their 20 year traveling time or experience or however you'd like to word it. And yes, I said 20 years, they have basically spent my entire life traveling! She proceeded to tell me stories from Africa, Australia, China...Fiji, Argentina, Peru...you get the picture. I was able to sleep for the first two hours of the flight, then I watched the new Indiana Jones movie (not all that good) and Leatherheads (also not very good); so I talked with my new friend most of each movie.
Once I hit Frankfurt, I realized two things that I immediately regretted not bringing. A watch would have come in quite handy walking through an airport where there are virtually no clocks. Plus, my phone couldn't find service so I couldn't use it as a source of time. So I sat down on my computer thinking I could check my email and Skype some people and 10 minutes into using my computer it dies. Where's my power cord? In my checked luggage...fantastic. I was able to reach my lovely mother, however. I decided just to walk to my gate and hang out there and read until my flight boarded, but to my surprise I had the Amazing Race in my waiting room and on my flight. There were 7 teams of two hanging around being interviewed by the crew with their huge cameras and all. Lucky me I was the only one in the whole crowd they decided to interview! So I had two teams come up to me with their camera crew and talk to me about who I am, where I'm from, and a ton of other random questions. I had to fill out a release form so they could put me on TV and everything! Pretty crazy, right?
I landed in Zürich to find both my bags waiting for me which was such an answer to prayer! I walked through customs and had this grizzly looking man run up to me and give me a hug and then said, "You're Matthew, right?" Arnold is his name and he led me to the rest of the YWAM people so I could meet all of them and then he treated me to McDonald's: the home of the $12 McChicken value meal. How horrendous is that? I felt ashamed having him pay that much for me knowing I could get 12 McChicken sandwiches back home for this price! There are seven guys and two girls in our class, along with six staff members: two married couples and Arnold and another lady. So far, everyone is really cool and down to Earth.
Today has been a roller coaster ride of emotions, but I am happy to finally be here and I know I'm supposed to be here. Thank you all again for your prayers that got me here safely! I'll post pictures and a random video I took in Frankfurt tomorrow! Miss you all!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What an adventure already! How awesome. I miss you already. Keep the posts coming. Love you!!! -Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I was just wondering if you've managed to capture a picture of the amazing race teams?

    ReplyDelete